The following piece can be copied and prepared for a three-column, two-sided landscape sheet for distribution to UMW and the congregation.
Critical Shortages of UMCOR Relief Kits
UMCOR—United Methodist Committee on Relief—sends emergency relief kits to disaster scenes all over the world.
Now they desperately need our help with this vital ministry. Please support them by giving generously to Material Resources, Advance #901440, or by working with your congregation to assemble much-needed relief-supply kits for UMCOR depots.
You may contribute online at umcor.org or you may make out a check to FUMC with a note that it is for Advance #901440.
Last year, UMCOR had sent a total of 536,946 relief kits to 12 countries and to 12 states in the U.S. That was an increase of 28.5% as compared to any previous year. As a result, both UMCOR depots now have critical shortages of relief-supply kits to meet the increased demand for supplies around the world.
These kits include—
* birthing kits: soap, latex gloves, plastic sheeting, cotton string, razor blade, blankets
* cleaning buckets: bucket, laundry detergent, cleaner, dish soap, air freshener, insect repellent, scrub brush, cleaning wipes, sponges, scouring pads, clothespins, clothesline, trash bags, dust masks, disposable gloves, work gloves
* school kits: blunt scissors, pads of paper, pencils and sharpener, ruler, eraser, crayons, cloth bag
* health kits: hand towel, washcloth, comb, nail clipper, soap, toothbrush, bandaids, plastic bag, $1
*sewing kits: fabric, needles, thread, buttons, scissors, plastic bag
*layette kits: diapers, onesies, wash cloths, sleeper, diaper pins, jacket, receiving blankets
* bedding kits: flat sheets, pillows and pillow cases
There are strict requirements for all of these kits; detailed instructions are online at www.umcor.org. Whatever way you give, PLEASE HELP.